The Comet assay, also known as single cell gel electrophoresis (SCGE) assay, has been widely used to measure a range of genetic damage and repair in response to various potential mutagens or carcinogens, such as radiation, chemicals and drugs. The test consists of analyzing DNA migration, which appears like a comet, after individual cell encapsulation, lysis and electrophoresis. Comet assay has found many applications in:
- human and ecological biomonitoring
- genotoxical risk assessment
- compounds screening in pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industries
- cancer studies
- DNA reparation studies
Pathfinder™ AutoComet module provides automation of Comet assay for fast, reproductible and statistically significant comets’ analysis.
Pathfinder™ module validated by prestigious key opinion leaders within the project Comics of the 6th European Framework (contract N° LSHB-CT-2006-037575), developing comet assay and cell array for fast and efficient genotoxicity testing, in collaboration with University of Oslo, Norway.
Pathfinder™ AutoComet features
- Capture and analysis time of one whole slide in less than 7 min (standard preparation).
- Capture and analysis time of one well in a well plate under 3 minutes.
- Increase of at least 32 times the work flow compared to interactive capture analysis.
- Adapted Throughput from one to 200 slides using SFD (Slide Feeder Device). Minimal configuration 4 slides per batch.
- Automated and instant detection with the Batch processing option.
- Comet detection checking on screen or under microscope eyepieces.
- Various fluorochromes supported
- Detection feature of a fixed amount of comets to be scored
- No Maximum number of comets countable: more than 10.000 comets in routine
- Statistical studies on a great number of comets with integrated statistical tools (multi-histograms, scatter plots and multi-Gaussian fitting).
- Compliant with Good Laboratory Practice & FDA requirements for data management (FDA 21 CFR Part 11).
- Correction of halo around the head to provide accurate data.
- Tuned to wide spectrum of cell line (in vitro) or cell type (in vivo) and staining.
- Export option of analysis parameters
Pathfinder™ AutoComet Analysis Parameters
- Total fluo Comet
- Total fluo Head
- Total fluo Head Corr
- Tail DNA non corr, %
- Tail % DNA corrected
- Olive Tail Moment
- Extent Tail Moment
- Total length
- Head, DNA, %
- Tail Moment
- Migration Length